Saturday, October 23, 2010

Autumn Reflections

"Autumn is the eternal corrective.  It is ripeness and color and a time of maturity; but it is also breadth, and depth, and distance.  What man can stand with autumn on a hilltop and fail to see the span of his world and the meaning of the rolling hills that reach to the far horizon?" - Hal Borland




I feel as if I am standing on this hilltop right now.  I can see the hills rolling gently into my future; at each crest is a precipice of joy and wonderful things...visits home, a new business, holidays with family, and the return of my heart.  But...(there is always a But)...to reach those points I have to travel through the valleys each of these hills presents...stress, loneliness, loss, and confusion.  Despite these valleys, I look forward with such excitement.  There are so very many wonderful things looming on my horizon.  But...(there it is...always) this excitement is tinged with equal amounts of trepidation.  I'm reminded of the saying, "there is no light without the dark".  Well, I shall burn my candle (or in my case, my soldering torch) brightly and march bravely through those dark valleys for I know that on the other side awaits the ascent to a joyous precipice.  In the mean time, I shall fortify myself for this travel with good food, good friends, and lots of good wine.  I'm going to start this endeavor today by whipping up a giant pot of Pumpkin Chili to ward off the chill of the autumn rain.  My hope is that along my travels throughout the next year, I am able to breathe deep, absorb each moment, and really experience what is unfolding before me. 

It is only possible to live happily-ever-after on a day-to-day basis.  --- Margaret Bonnano

So here's to my actively creating my own "happily-ever-after", to living in the moment, and great pumpkin chili!

This is one of my family's favorite autumn dishes.  It is super healthy and tastes divine.  You can substitute greek yogurt for the sour cream and indulge without guilt.  I have even fed this to those who claim to hate ground turkey and they couldn't tell the difference.  Due to the abundance of pumpkin and the minimal use of tomatoes, this is also a nearly heartburn free dish.  Enjoy!!!





1 comment: